Work hard; play hard!

Work hard; play hard!
Consulting in Maui!

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

If you can't beat em', join em! Cell phone speech therapy carryover!


All of my students have cell phones. I have even taken away a few in my teaching career. 
This month though I am encouraging, shall I say even demanding (okay, asking), them to use their cell phones to practice their speech at home. I ask them to record themselves saying either words or sentences with their sounds in them and video tape themselves. Then listen back and determine how many they said correctly or incorrectly. If they are produced incorrectly, I ask them to re-record them. 
"I don't have time," some of them say.
I respond, "Does your mom or dad drive you to practice?"
"Yes," they quickly reply, before they know I have snared them in my time trap conundrum. 
"Then pull your phone out and have them give you a word with your sound in it and make those sentences!" I suggest.
I have also informed parents that this is my expectation for the shortest month of the year. 
YAY! Some are doing it and noticing a difference in their ability to hear themselves and judge their productions. 
Let's celebrate an educational reason to have phones, besides the incredible gaming that they do. :-)
We do practice it in speech so they understand what I am after. 


No comments:

Post a Comment