Work hard; play hard!

Work hard; play hard!
Consulting in Maui!

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Chat Stations and Topics


This week my team teacher Stef and I talked to the students about their conversation always starting with the questions, "What did you do last night" or "What did you do over the weekend?" Well, we think they have that skill down! :-) Now they really need to expand their ability to talk about more topics or use more starter questions with one another.
So...I was reading an article on establishing chat stations, and I decided to make formalized chat station signs for my social skills class. Last year we worked on Speed Conversation (See previous post in this blog for this.) This was a HUGE success with my higher level social skills class. This year our social skills class is a very beginning social skills class. The skills need to really be broken down for this group!

Click here to read the article. http://www.cultofpedagogy.com/chat-stations/

So I developed some Topic Idea Sheets. Click here for my Chat Station sheets. We put these around the room and had the kids divide up into groups of two to start. Then they got to choose their chat station. They were given one minute to talk about the topic on their chat station sign. We went over the expectation every time they switched from group to group. Then we had them grade themselves on the five point scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment