Work hard; play hard!

Work hard; play hard!
Consulting in Maui!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Head's Up App- In the classroom or resource room.


  So far I have added multiple meaning, antonyms and prefixes/suffixes. You can add a deck for each area of vocabulary!


.

Who doesn't love Ellen Degeneres?!? When I was traveling in Spain, I was talking with another life-long educator about the app "Head's Up". So, of course, I loaded it on to my IPAD (traveling companion) and thought about it on my long plane rides and even longer layovers in Paris and Washington DC.
How could I use this in my speech/language groups? At first, I just thought it might be a perfect game for working on description and listening. Then I saw its use for my carryover articulation kids and even for my kids who work on fluency. After that I noticed another paid deck for "make your own". Well that really opened up the possibilities! So the first one I made was multiple meaning. Next I am going to make an analogy one. I could use it for my articulation groups too, but I have other apps that are more geared towards that objective. So my articulation students will benefit from the language aspect of the new decks while they work on carryover of their skills in a more stressful task that involves time. I could see it for learning math facts, academic vocabulary, quizzing, etc....love to have multiple uses of my tools! CHECK IT OUT! I think you could easily use it in your resource room. Way to go Ellen! My students thoroughly enjoy the review video aspect of this game. After playing a deck, they frequently like to watch the video of them guessing or describing the cards in the deck.

 We started competing with other groups and with administration to see who could get the highest scores. The kids LOVED this.
Another variation is to have the person in the group sit down if the buzzer goes off during their time (Like the old game of Hot Potato). Careful if you have an overly competitive group here because this does AMP it up quite a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment