Work hard; play hard!

Work hard; play hard!
Consulting in Maui!

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Apraxia and Vowel Work



I find that many times my students, who struggle significantly with apraxia, also need to work on the vowels. Frequently, I find that they do not have a clear production of their vowels and/or they do not hold the vowel long enough to give their listeners a clear vowel unit (the glue of the word). These sheets are an easy practice for differentiating between the long vowel sounds. I usually have the student hold onto the vowel for a count of five. You will notice I also kept the final consonant consistent so that they can focus on holding onto the vowel unit instead of moving to the consonant. I chose the (t) because the student I created these for is successful with the production of the (t).

I also LOVE BANANAGRAMS! It can be used in so many ways!

Here we are using them to spell the words in the TPT unit I mentioned above. This way we work on reading and speech at the same time. As you see I also put the vowel sound under the word that he put together. On this day we played CONNECT FOUR on the grid that was included on the free TPT unit (see above).
**Please note in this picture that this is one of the sheets in the TPT connection,
created by Michelle Scotese.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are welcome. I will try and do the short vowels tomorrow. Things just got away from me today! :-)

      Delete