Work hard; play hard!

Work hard; play hard!
Consulting in Maui!

Monday, February 25, 2013

Time to "Let Go of My Legos"!

I first started my career in a therapeutic preschool (Courage Center). Then I went into elementary level therapy. From there I went to high school and I have finally ended up in the middle school setting. One thing remains constant, "...kids learn more if they are having fun doing so."

Wrapping up February in Minnesota is not for the faint of heart! The teachers are restless, the kids are restless and the therapy needs a little bit of fun. So out come the Legos.

Today we used the Lego's for giving and receiving directions. After the activity was done and the data was tallied, the students got to build their own Lego platforms or whatever they chose. I am lucky to have an entire BIN of Legos thanks to a generous donation from another teacher. Just in case you are wondering....yes, my middle school students do still enjoy a good session of Legos once in awhile. My OT will be SO THRILLED I am incorporating fine motor into my therapy sessions also! This direction-giving activity will be geared more towards my students in my developmentally cognitive delayed programs. However, I will leave the tempting bin out and see if any of my other groups bite on the activity.

My articulation groups can earn a Lego for each sentence they produce correctly. My language groups can work on directions, conjunctions, prepositional phrases...while earning Legos. The trick is to allow them to have fun and be kids again while working on their skills. THIS is why I LOVE my job! I always say, "I get to TALK with kids for my job!" What could be more fun than interacting and conversing with kids!!? You can also put up a screen and hand them the same Legos and the green platforms. Then they take turns describing what they would like each other to do. In the end, their platforms have to look identical!

I love "old school" fun and getting students to unplug from electronics for awhile.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. My social skills (high school level) group did a blind build using legos. The students were split in to two teams and each team had one adult. The teams choose a "runner" who looks at a hidden model and attempts to tell the group how to reproduce the hidden model. The "runner" may look at the model as many times as possible, but may not take notes or speak to the group until they are sitting with their group. The group my not use shape or color words of any kind; the words above, below, left, right; they may not ask questions; the runner is not allowed to point. The first attempt, a student was a "runner" and the second time an adult was a "runner". Afterwards we discussed leadership, effective communication and team work, and problem solving. It was a great exercise and one that the kids have asked to do again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I will definitely give this a try. I think it would be a fun staff activity too! I so appreciate your comments. Have a great week! amy

      Delete