Work hard; play hard!

Work hard; play hard!
Consulting in Maui!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Teaching Fitting In and Standing Out

One of my favorite lessons to teach my students is the important life lessons that come along with fitting in and standing out. I developed this compare and contrast set of FITTING IN and STANDING OUT cards for one of my social skills classes. This is a 64 page document that covers three main areas: fitting in and standing out academically, fitting in and standing out socially, and fitting in and standing out physically. In the end there is another method of teaching this lesson that I have used with my group that serves more of the developmentally cognitive delayed students in the middle school. This would also work well in elementary social skills classes.
I printed them in color, cut them apart and laminated them so I can use them year after year. Sometimes we just start our social skills class with one or two students picking a random card and having a discussion on why this would make a person stand out or fit in. 

Click here if you would like to see a sampling of this packet. Please leave a comment or a request if you would like to see the entire document.

Click here if you would like the entire document. It is a HUGE document though. 

4 comments:

  1. This is great and something I could really use with my students. Could I please see the entire document? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! It is huge document. Respond by email and I will send you the link or share the link with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing the link! This is going to be a great lesson to use with my social skills group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I am thrilled that you can use them! Let me know how you use them and what your experience is with them. Like I said, I have used them in a variety of ways. Thanks for your note!

    ReplyDelete