Work hard; play hard!

Work hard; play hard!
Consulting in Maui!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Question- Variety is the spice of language!

I have a couple of students who keep asking me, "How was your weekend?" because that is what they SUCCESSFULLY learned! They ask this on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. We do love overgeneralization because that indicates learned behavior. So now we are trying to move past that and ask a few different questions.  Now we have categorized a few questions by colors. Today you have to ask me a GREEN QUESTION or a PURPLE QUESTION or a BLUE QUESTION. Then we posted these up on our wall for a visual. They love the smiley faces the best because that is when I overreact with JOY by their question! They also have to ask the students who come in after them. I have brought these girls in on it so now they prompt them to do so by requesting them to ask them a green question or whatever the day indicates. We shall see! Here is hoping that variety becomes a habit too!

Okay, a few of you have asked if I had made this into a sheet or not. Here it is for you!

Click here to access the sheet that you could blow up to make a poster for your classroom or have them available for students to see.

Here is the new "non-makeshift" poster I had made!



2 comments:

  1. I love this idea and it is super useful! I so relate with this problem!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They came back on day two and did use the visual spontaneously! Easy answer to a language and social skills need. Let me know how you use this and what your experience has been. Always great to hear from my blog readers! amy

    ReplyDelete