Work hard; play hard!

Work hard; play hard!
Consulting in Maui!

Monday, February 11, 2013

Ping Pong- Conversation


I had a student who was struggling with keeping a conversation going. It happened that they were in their ping-pong unit in phy ed so I told him conversation was like a ping-pong game. So we went down and played a game of ping-pong, and I began to illustrate how conversation was just like ping-pong. You have to both be playing the same game. You have to participate by giving and receiving. The game wouldn't be any fun if one person kept letting the ball roll or bounce off of the table. Well.....you get the drift. Then I had him pick a topic. After he picked a topic I started the conversation off (by serving him the topic ball). When he hit the ball he had to stay on topic, respond to my statement, etc.
Well now I just "borrowed" two of the ping-pong paddles and keep them in the therapy room. I also created a couple of these worksheets (works in progress...so feel free to add, delete or change anything on them).
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

To access a worksheet on Ping-Pong click here.
One more worksheet on Verbal Ping-Pong click here.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I like the ping-pong analogy...I'm a bad conversationalist so any little bit helps.

    If you are interested, I created a page with a ton of questions that help get conversations started.

    It's here > http://www.deepconversationtopics.com

    Cheers to lots of great 'ping-pong' !


    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan- I am glad you like the ping-pong strategy. Thanks also for sharing your site.

    ReplyDelete