Work hard; play hard!

Work hard; play hard!
Consulting in Maui!

Monday, February 25, 2013

Artik Stick

Easy grab activity for the day....I bought a few of these sticks from my favorite teacher store. Then I used my handy dandy label maker to create words for them. I made them especially for my (r) and (s) groups so I put an (r) word on the one side and an (s) word on the other side. The apples one came in later because a (th) kid infiltrated the group. I used one shape for initial sounds, one for medial and one for final sounds. To make it interesting I choose a word for each game that is the MAGIC word and write it down on a small white board. The student who pulls this stick wins a COOKIE CARD! Now frequently I don't have purist groups so for my language students they have to define it, or I create an analogy for that stick they pulled, or they have to figure our 3 adjectives for the word and use two of them in a sentence or they have to use it in a sentence and add a conjunction to increase the complexity of their sentence. Sometimes I will just have them compete for MLU points.

Now you could use tongue depressor sticks too, which sometimes my school nurse allows me to "steal".

Sometimes you just need a quick activity...this is a good bucket to keep around for those days. It is a great way to warm up the group!


No comments:

Post a Comment